Re: virtualenv/pip failure, how to debug/fix?

On Thu, Dec 30, 2021 at 07:35:22AM -0500, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
>
> >> which led to the following bizarrely losing in setuptools looking for
> >> __sysconfigdata__netbsd9__.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with pip, it's in setuptools.
> > Use setuptools from pkgsrc for now.
>
> How do I "use setuptools from pkgsrc" when creating a venv and running
> pip in it?

No idea. Perhaps you can ask it to install an older setuptools.

> If you have a pointer, or bits, that I could just place in /usr/pkg,
> then I could sort of test and sort of use it.

Sure, I documented this in py-setuptools/Makefile

# This setting, which will soon be default-on again, breaks on NetBSD
# https://github.com/pypa/setuptools/issues/2364
# files/_distutils_system_mod needs to be installed into
# ${PREFIX}/lib/python3.9/site-packages/_distutils_system_mod.py
# (NOT ${DESTDIR}${PREFIX}) before building this package
# https://github.com/pypa/distutils/issues/16
#MAKE_ENV+=     SETUPTOOLS_USE_DISTUTILS=local

 Thomas