Re: lang/guile 1.8.8 nb11 build failure

On Thu, 19 Aug 2021 at 19:36, Greg Troxel <gdt%lexort.com@localhost> wrote:

> Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4%gmail.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > Somewhat late...
> > lang/guile still fails to build when using the system's gcc 10.3, as
> > reported before. Instead of reverting the earlier releases and pkgsrc
> > checkouts, I just placed /usr/pkg/gcc9/bin in front of the PATH; this
> > way guile 1.8.8 builds and tests fine. No idea why...
>
> 1.8 is basically obsolete.  I'll try it with current after I update my
> current box.
>
> > I haven't checked which packages need lang/guile; in my case, this is
> > TeXmacs, which explicitly states that only guile version 1 is
> > supported (I was able to build it with version 2, but then the
> > execution fails miserably in the scheme scripts). he guile site shows
> > version 3.0.7 as the current one, with version 2 considered legacy and
> > no mentioning of version 1.
>
> guile 1.8 is really crufty but still exists slightly.  2.0 is very old,
> and 2.2 somewhat old.  3 is still in wip, and I don't remember why.
>
> Basically any project that doesn't work with 2.2 or 3.0 I would consider
> not maintained.
>
> > I guess lang/gcc9 should be added as a build dependency and the
> > package modified to use it.
>
> It's not really that it needs 9 but that 10 isn't ok.   This seems like
> a combination of a a bug in the old guile and new gcc warning
> fussiness.  It's not clear that force-requiring 9 is the right approach.
>
> Have you filed a bug with  texmacs that it doesn't work with 2.2 and
> 3.0?

From the TeXmacs current site:
Guile

The GNU implementation of Scheme, which is used as an extension
language. Please note that as of Oct. 2013, Guile 2.x is not
supported; you will need Guile 1.8.

The version in pkgsrc is 1.99.13; the current released TeXmacs is 2.1.
I tried to build the version from subversion; the configure script
needs bash (even if it starts with #!/bin/sh ...); it finds guile 2
and complains about needing guile 1, unless one knows what is doing
and then one can run it with --enable-guile2; further down the whole
compile process actually finishes fine, with the exception of the
final link of texmacs-shared.bin, which reports missing
{add,remove}_notifier and perform_select; these apparently should be
fixed by adding '--enable-qtpipes'  to the configure parameters...
This now completes without an apparent error. The execution fails
similarly to when I enabled guile v2, as mentioned before; a lot of
scheme errors.

It seems to me if we want TeXmacs to build on -current, we should
still keep guile 1.8.8 and build it with gcc9... Otherwise the bump to
TeXmacs 2.1 should be possible.

--
----