Re: Invoking an arbitrary command from a window manager

Hello,

> On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 07:43:36AM +0000, nia wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 26, 2021 at 04:13:50AM +0000, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> > > Is there something I can put in a menu that will allow the user to input desired command line?

> > x11/dmenu

> Heartily recommended (it also has program name completion). To be more
> precise: I added

> kbind "X", "exec", "dmenu_run"

> to my  .pwm/keys.conf; for twm and friends add the line to

> "Run command" f.exec "demnu_run"

> e.g. to
> menu "defops"
{
}

>         -is

Now I am thinking if I should build and install wm/pwm just to have a better idea what you are talking about.

I thought jwm was a lightweight window manager but see it requires not only libuv but also llvm and rust, making it pretty cumbersome on a system that has a hostile relationship with NetBSD-current entropy.

Would ctwm in the base system (xsrc) be considered part of "twm and friends"?

I really need to be able to use parameters with commands, like "mpop twct" rather than just "mpop", or "mutt -f Mail/twc" rather than just "mutt", and "less" or "vi" by itself would not work well.

I see possibilities with spectrwm and ratpoison, as well as icewm13 (icewm-1.3.8).

Tom