Re: default mysql -> mariadb

On Wed, May 26, 2021 at 12:43:49PM -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>   Do you mean changing the default to 10.4 or 10.5?

10.5 is The Future, 10.4 is only in pkgsrc because I'd already
started porting it.

>   How does mariadb 10.4 relate to mysql 8, in terms of divergence.  Is
>   everything in 8 also in 10.4?  Is mariadb tracking changes to mysql?
>   Or is it basically that mariadb is viewed by those in the know as the
>   next version really and just has a name change for trademark/business
>   reasons (like openoffice->libreoffice) -- and thus that mysql 8 and
>   later are not that relevant in the open source  world?

No. MySQL 8 is the point where MariaDB and MySQL start to diverge.
Features like JSON types are implemented in an incompatible way in
both.

However, as already mentioned, most free operating systems are still
opting to default to MariaDB.

>   If someone tried to build all the things in pkgsrc that build with
>   mysql57, how many of them do you think would build and work ok with
>   mariadb10.4?

I would guess it'd be the usual case of: the modern stuff would work
fine, the stuff that's bitrotted a bit would break. I don't currently
have the resources to run bulk builds, I'm hoping to get a new server
soon.

I do monitor bulk builds very closely and fix problems, though
you probably know that already ;)