Re: To remove or not to remove

> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 7:10 PM Adam <adam%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> Here is a list of packages I would to remove from PkgSrc, preferably within a week or two. If there is an objection, please, let me know.
>
> Kind regards,
> Adam
>
> lang/python36 - more and more packages are incompatible with this version of Python; we have 3.7, 3.8, and 3.9 to choose from
>
> On the contrary, lots of recent py3 code has python36 set as the minimum version. Also, to align with other package systems such as Centos or Cygwin, which still maintain 3.6. (In fact, for development on Cygwin I have to use Py36 due to the way Python3 metapackage, numpy, etc. are packaged there while my staging and production environments are pkgsrc).
>
> textproc/py-cjson - only for Python 2.7; no dependencies
>
> www/py-cherrypy17 - Python 2.7 version of www/py-cherrypy
>

> Seeing as Python27 is still being maintained in pkgsrc, is there any other justification for removal other than "old"?

Since Python 2.7 has become obsolete, it is more and more difficult to maintain Python packages. Packages are dropping 2.7 support quickly. Many Python updates in PkgSrc are blocked by this fact. IMHO we should move toward dropping Python 2.7 as well. Providing older version just for keeping Python 2.7 compatibility creates a dependency nightmare.

I say, we should get rid of some old and unmaintained Python packages to clean the mess.

Kind regards,
Adam