Re: Problem using a second pkgsrc unprivileged

Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost> writes:

> Personally I'd like the default BINPKG_SITES to be removed from
> mk/install/bin-install.mk:
>
>  * Users who do not know what's going on are going to be very confused
>    if they're building for a non-/usr/pkg prefix and end up with the
>    wrong packages.
>
>  * Unless you have _exactly_ the same mk.conf settings as those used
>    for the official builds you may run into difficult to diagnose
>    problems with incompatible dependencies.
>
>  * It slows down builds for regular pbulks while each site is checked,
>    and may result in packages being pulled in incorrectly.
>
>  * Users who know how to use them correctly and understand all the
>    risks will be comfortable with adding the sites to their mk.conf
>    manually.
>
> Ordinarily I don't have any of these problems as I don't use pkgsrc on
> OS that have a default list of BINPKG_SITES, but I've noticed this
> recently since performing NetBSD bulk builds, and have had to add
> BINPKG_SITES=#empty to all my mk.conf to avoid them.

Agreed.  I have never used bin-install.  I do sometimes wish that
installing dependencies would use packages in my own binary package dir,
but it never occured to me that pkgsrc by default would go off-machine
for packages.

Anyone in favor of keeping external paths?