Re: skip checking py27-setuptools in pkg_rr?

On Tue, 22 Sep 2020 at 17:09, Benny Siegert <bsiegert%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Sep 2020, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
>
> > If you remove py27-setuptools, you won’t be able to rebuild it anymore
> > from source, it now requires python3. You might be able to reinstall it
> > from the old binary package, but this defeats the purpose.
>
> Well, yes.
>
> I assume you are not interested in setuptools for Python 2.7 in itself,
> but rather it is a (build) dependency of some other package that you want
> to use. So if you remove it and then rolling-replace the stuff that
> depends on it, you will end up with a working setup. At worst, one of the
> other packages will install the old setuptools version as part of its
> build process.

The point is, bulk builds may fail in different places, e.g. my
example regarding asciidoc above. If you get a fresh version of pkgsrc
you won't be able to build asciidoc today, if you have at some stage
enabled the pdf option, which is not a default one. Whether this is
important is another matter. I guess, in this case the solution would
be to remove the pdf option from asciidoc completely, until somebody
ports dblatex to python3. It's not a big deal, just one of the quirks
one deals when using pkgsrc.

> --
> Benny

Chavdar