Re: Is *anyone* using pkgsrc on IRIX?

On Friday 2020-04-24 14:24, Alistair Crooks wrote:
On Fri, 24 Apr 2020 at 09:56, Joerg Sonnenberger <joerg%bec.de@localhost> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 24, 2020 at 06:18:10PM +0200, Kamil Rytarowski wrote:
We received criticism in the past from potential users as we promise
support for many Operating Systems and depend on libarchive in
./bootstrap.sh written in C++. The C++ language is a high entry point
for 23 supported platforms, especially if half of them are long dead...
even if we pass the bootstrap stage on more vivid ones, we end up with
severely broken environment (like stopping on Perl for AIX).

If you want to invent arguments, please get them straight at least.
libarchive doesn't depend on C++.

Apologies for my terse email yesterday - I was wanting to head off the
assumption that not hearing anything negative for 20 minutes meant that
everyone was happy with what was suggested.

Far from culling older/legacy platform support, I think we should add to
it. What I mean by this is the provision of older compiler suites, older
binutils, and even consider a simplified bootstrap for those kind of
platforms. The existence of this should not be a problem for anyone using
the latest and greatest software that's out there.

People who have legacy systems don't want to run gnome3 or kde5, or
anything c++11 or c++14 - they want straight, solid support from a
cross-platform packaging system that can provide them with what they want.

This is my situation. Legacy system with older compiler. Some plstforms do not have adequate thread support for the newer compilers. pkgsrc is a very stable, efective infrastructure. build and management system. I would support this. This would attract new people to pkgsrc IMHO.

I have no idea why there is a call for getting rid of something that would
be beneficial for a number of users; I'm sure it would attract new ones.

Very well said. This is the reason, I started looking into pkgsrc. I really like the abiity to use newer packages. I've found the git archive very usefull. Checking out older branches to get software that will work and cherry picking them into pkgsrc. I have a mix of projects from 2014 to present. Love how fexible pkgsrc is. It has many benefits that older legacy system need.

Thanks to all who have worked on pkgsrc. I appreciate your contibutions.

Best Regards,

--
Boyd Gerber <gerberb%zenez.com@localhost> 801 849-0213
ZENEZ   1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah  84047