Re: Is *anyone* using pkgsrc on IRIX?

On 04/24, Greg Troxel wrote:
> Kamil Rytarowski <n54%gmx.com@localhost> writes:
>
> > I would add a big WARNING in ./bootstrap.sh and force usage of an extra
> > command option (like --skip-endangered) to pass the build on these
> > platforms. If nobody will step in 24 months, there is nobody that cares
> > enough.
> >
> > Warning everything except MacOS, Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD,
> > Solaris/Illumos, OpenBSD and DragonflyBSD is reasonable.
>
> This seems entirely gratuitous.  People using platforms like this know
> that they are likely to run into issues, with just about anything.

Hi, Greg!

That may be true, but I think you have to also be careful with what you
present to new users, and existing users of other platforms.  At

  https://www.pkgsrc.org/

it says that pkgsrc enables "freely available software to be configured
and built easily on our 23 supported platforms."  But based on this
thread, it seems like that is not entirely true.  I'd be fine with
Kamil's suggestion, but if that's undesirable, then perhaps we should
consider classifying pkgsrc platforms into tiers like NetBSD does for
its platforms at

  https://netbsd.org/ports/

where it has three tiers:

* Tier I: Focus - support is part of NetBSD's strategy

* Tier II: Organic - evolving at its own pace

* Tier III: Life Support - severely incapacitated or broken

Doing this for pkgsrc platforms would make it clear where they are and
not give the false impression that all of them are fully supported.

Kind regards,

Lewis