Re: Question about cvs, git, github and shallow clones

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> 1) Is pkgsrc going to stay on cvs as its primary platform for the
> foreseeable future, or is it going to migrate to git/github fully one
> day?

No to github, as others said.  Opinions vary, and there is no plan.  I
would say most expect a move to a DVCS at some point.   This is
controversial and there isn't consensus.

> 3) Are shallow clones recommended for pkgsrc? I remember last time I
> used it (a couple of years ago) I had problems refreshing the tree.

(I am assuming you are talking using git via a git mirror of the pkgsrc
CVS repo.)

I don't think pkgsrc is special in this regard, compared to other
projects with long histories.   So shallow clones or not should have the
same tradeoffs.

Are you having problems with a full clone?  It would seem to me that it
would just have a lot of data in a packfile taking up space that you
don't access, and not be a big deal, unless space is tight.

"had problems refreshing the tree" is not something anybody can help you
with.   If you have a specific situation and error, perhaps somebody
would have some insight.  (Do run "git fsck", because that's easy.)