Re: Issues with libtool-base After Upgrading Readline in 2019Q1

David Vollenweider <dvollen%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

> Rebuilding gawk after removing the symlink libreadline.so.7 to
> libreadline.so.8.0.0 worked.  After that I rebuilt libtool-base using
> make replace and the issue with ltmain.sh went away, too.  I didn't see
> anything involving unsafe_depends in the pkg_info -B gawk output before
> I did the rebuild or after, but I ran pkg_admin rebuild-tree anyway.

rebuild-tree will not fix unsafe_depends.  The problem it fixes, that
you are likely to have, is a dependency registered on two versions of
something, when only the latest is installed.  That breaks updating, but
it doesn't cause what you experienced.

It seems likely that the underlying cause is a failure of gawk to depend
formally on readline when it actually does.  It's hard to go back and
figure that out if you can't reproduce it (not a criticism; just how it
is).