Issues with libtool-base After Upgrading Readline in 2019Q1

I ran into these issues when trying to build graphics/jbig2dec in
pkgsrc-2018Q4 in a chroot environment on NetBSD 8.0:

Generating configuration files for jbig2dec, please wait....
  aclocal
  glibtoolize
  autoheader
  creating config_types.h.in
  automake --add-missing
configure.ac:22: installing './compile'
configure.ac:24: installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:24: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:7: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:25: error: required file './ltmain.sh' not found
configure.ac:7: installing './missing'

[...snip...]

checking for strdup... yes
checking for getopt_long... yes
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: error: cannot find input file: `Makefile.in'
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jbig2dec
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jbig2dec

I copied /usr/pkg/share/libtool/build-aux/ltmain.sh to the work
directory (/usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jbig2dec/work/jbig2dec-0.15) and ran
make again.  This time I got this error:

checking for strdup... yes
checking for getopt_long... yes
checking that generated files are newer than configure... done
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
Shared object "libreadline.so.7" not found
config.status: error: could not create Makefile
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jbig2dec
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/pkgsrc/graphics/jbig2dec

I ended up symlinking libreadline.so.8.0.0 to libreadline.so.7 and
tried again.  It compiled and installed after that, so I was able to
work around the issue.  My question is: what is the proper way to fix
this?  I've been running pkg_rolling-replace to upgrade my packages
from 2018Q4 to 2019Q1 and readline was one of the packages that was
upgraded, so I know the issues with libreadline are coming from that.
But I'm not sure what's actually calling libreadline in the first
place, let alone how to make it point to the correct libreadline now
that I have readline 8.0 installed.  I've already run make replace on
libtool-base, automake, autoconf, cwrappers, and m4 after the readline
upgrade and I still got this result before working around it.

- Dave V.