Re: changing the default ghostscript type

On Sun 17 Mar 2019 at 12:05:54 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
> I have added a cups option to ghostscript-agpl.  I would appreciate it
> if anybody who was using ghostscript-gpl only because of missing cups
> support would try ghostscript-agpl with the cups option.

I only just had time. I gave it a quick try, and it seemed to work ok.
(I wedged stuff into my installed system, so it was not a perfect
from-scratch test, but I think it's ok).

I did notice a weird build error (that unfortunately disappeared from my
scrollback) that disappeared when I tried it again. Maybe
MAKE_JOBS_SAFE=no is needed.

Aside: A nasty little detail I noticed:

    ../pkgsrc/print/ghostscript-agpl$ gs
    GPL Ghostscript 9.26 (2018-11-20)
    Copyright (C) 2018 Artifex Software, Inc.  All rights reserved.
    This software comes with NO WARRANTY: see the file PUBLIC for details.

It announces itself as GPL. Only when you carefully read the LICENSE
file inside the distfiles, where it is still consistently called "GPL
Ghostscript", it turns out (near the end) that the license is actually
the "GNU Affero General Public License". I would call this deceptive and
disingenuous on the part of Affero, really... I noticed it only when
looking at the diff between the two versions.

-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- "What good is a Ring of Power
\X/ rhialto/at/falu.nl      -- if you're unable...to Speak." - Agent Elrond