Re: changing the default ghostscript type

Rhialto <rhialto%falu.nl@localhost> writes:

> On Mon 11 Mar 2019 at 11:43:10 -0400, Greg Troxel wrote:
>> Thoughts from others?
>
> Note that cups (or rather, cups-filters) currently really needs
> ghostscript-gpl (if you want to be able to print postscript files),
> because that package has a cups option which ghostscript-agpl does not
> have. (Its Makefile has an unconditional CONFIGURE_ARGS+=
> --disable-cups).
>
> Adding the cups option would make it actually usable.

It's really not clear to me what's going on here.  My understanding,
somewhat fuzzy, is that upstream ghostscript dropped the cups option,
and there is code in cups-filters that does this instead.

> (at the same time, the PLIST conflict of libexec/cups/filter/gstopxl and
> libexec/cups/filter/gstoraster between ghostscript-gpl and cups-filters
> might be fixed...)

It might be that the fix is to figure out how to make things work with
cups-filters and then remove the option from ghostscript-gpl.  The rest
of the world does not use old ghostscript and presumably is printing ok
or they would have fixed things.   But that's an observation, not a
constructive proof!