Re: Avoiding software duplication

Jason Bacon wrote:

I use pkgsrc extensively on CentOS and my take on avoiding duplication
is "don't install the Yum version if it's avoidable".  I keep my Yum
installations to a minimum and use the more recent packages from pkgsrc
wherever possible.

I also want my pkgsrc installations to be completely self-reliant to
avoid unpleasant surprises, so I always set

PREFER_NATIVE=        no
PREFER_PKGSRC=        yes

in my mk.conf.

To avoid leakage issues, I actually build a full set of binary packages
in a minimal chroot, and only build from source on a production system
if I need an optimized or customized build.

That's really good advice, thanks!

--
caóc