Re: Avoiding software duplication

On 26.12.2018 16:52, Cág wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Most major Linux distributions include Python in the base installation.
> The EL family, for example, depends on it, since YUM is written in it.
> OpenSSL is pretty much everywhere, too. There are other examples for
> sure.
>
> For such software, can we avoid using the pkgsrc versions, and use those
> provided by the distribution?
>
> --
> caóc

You can add or use builtin.mk for all the external dependencies, but
probably pkgsrc itself will be unusable. You will be on your own with
all the dependencies, patches, integration with pkgsrc etc.

If you just want to install few pieces of software without duplications,
go to backports in your distro.