Re: texlive organization on netbsd

On Tue, Jun 12, 2018 at 01:49:25PM +0100, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> I think something along these lines should be preferable - in the presence
> of a native package installer capable of working for an individual non-root
> user, to try to minimise the corresponding content in pkgsrc.

Crippling pkgsrc is a no-go. Especially with "native" package installers
that don't have any way of ensuring content integrity.

> The other day I tried to build py-matplotlib with the graphical
> interfaces with pkgsrc on an OpenSUSE Tumbleweed system, everything in
> the build went right, but at the end no graphic window appears when the
> test program is invoked... The native 'pip3 install matplotlib' worked of course.

Let me guess: you don't have all of the necessary development headers
installed, so pkgsrc tries to install its own set. At the same time, the
f**ked up shared library lookup in some Python extensions decided that
it should mix in part of the "base" system and havoc resulted. That's
not really an argument in favor of pip, just an argument in favor of
kicking upstreams.

Joerg