Re: GCC and as

Explanations are good, so here is one:

configure/make etc are called with a PATH including cwrappers.
so "gcc" is cc-wrapper.

GCC (via cc-wrapper) gets called with a PATH that does not
include wrappers, and then it chooses to execute 'ld', which
is /usr/bin/ld for this reduced PATH case.

ld-wrapper is never called.

if I make it not modify PATH, then it executes ld-wrapper, which
executes "ld", which is the ld wrapper (infinite loop).

so I configure the ld-wrapper to invoke the full path of ld to overcome
this.