Re: Windows port?

I reran the bookstrap under "time".  Subtract a little from the totals to account for my response times to answer questions posed by auto-pkgsrc-setup.  Also note that auto-pkgsrc-setup times include creating a boostrap kit with both the source tree and installation directories.

WSL: ~104 minutes total, 16 minutes just to unpack.

FreeBSD running under HyperV: 21:47 total

Unpacking was quite slow under HyperV as well, but GNU configured scripts whizzed along at about native speed, on the order of a dozen checks / sec vs  ~1 / sec under WSL.  Compiles were much faster in the VM than in WSL as well.

I would hypothesize that WSL has a fork() bottleneck similar to Cygwin.

I suspect your much bigger RAM pool might explain some of the better performance on your end.