Re: pkg-config wrapper doesn't find libarchive.pc

Thomas Klausner <wiz%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 07, 2017 at 11:59:49PM +0200, Aleksej Lebedev wrote:
>> On 2017-09-07 21:36, Greg Troxel wrote:

>> > Is the bl3 file deciding to use a builtin libarchive (which doesn't seem
>> > to have a pc file) rather than the package?
>>
>> I don't know the right way to check, but when I add PREFER_PKGSRC=yes to
>> mk.conf, libarchive.pc is there, so I'm guessing it is.
>>
>> Is it expected or is it a bug? How do the other packages, depending on
>> libarchive (or other package with the system alternative), work?

It's a bug in the base system, I'd say, or a mismatch in opinions
between whether pkgconfig is special or universal.

> devel/zlib/builtin.mk creates a "fake" pkg-config file for the
> built-in versions of zlib.
>
> Perhaps something similar is needed here.

That would be good.  Or adding the pc file to the base system and
pulling it up to branches.

It would be great if someone wrote generic faked-up pc support, so that
all packages that have builtins without pc (when the real package has
one, and more importantly other programs expect it) can do this.  I
suspect this will be more satisfactory in the end than trying to fix up
the base system.