Re: pkgtools/pkg status in NetBSD with pkgsrc, does anybody use it?

> > What do the NetBSD pkgsrc developers use?

> As a developer, I use the pkg_foo toolset (i.e. the default package tools). If we as devs used something else, that would probably be the default.

> Having said that, I am curious about pkg and synth but I have not gotten around to trying them yet. I donâ??t even know how to get started with pkg, is there a how-to?

> > I don't want to be the only one using pkgtools/pkg because, if something doesn't work right, there would be no community to help me.

> True. I can see how thatâ??s an argument. Or you could try it out and report back if it breaks.

â??Benny.

pkg, the main feature of pkgng in FreeBSD, replaced the traditional pkg_* tools that were about the same as what is still in use in NetBSD with pkgsrc.

There was a pkg2ng to convert from old format to new, but that is no longer around, since FreeBSD versions that used old pkg_* tools are now all past EOL.

So I am accustomed to ports-mgmt/pkg now in FreeBSD, but synth is newer.

My first attempt to build synth was on FreeBSD-current and failed when the system crashed and rebooted as I was sleeping, likely due to an instability of the system rather than synth.

Next attempt would be on 11.0-STABLE amd64 after I rebuild that.

I have a NetBSD-current amd64 installation with nothing installed that might be a good place to see if synth will build, though I would like to see first, if possible, how it works on its home turf, FreeBSD.

Progress is not made by people who are afraid to try new things.  I could try and report back, favorable or unfavorable as the case might be.

Tom