Re: Confused, in need of direction

Robert Nestor <rnestor%mac.com@localhost> writes:

> I’m confused and lost in pkgsrc and could use a pointer to get my moving in the right direction.
>
> Got a new laptop that doesn’t run any of the released versions of
> NetBSD, but it will run -current.  Now I’m trying to find and/or build
> packages that are compatible with -current to run on the darned thing.
> Basically almost none of the packages in binary run because of vast
> differences in libraries; I’ve tried 7.0, 7.0.1, and 7.1 with little
> or no success.  OK, so that means building from source so I installed

If you were to install 7.0 and then current, the older packages would
almost certainly work, but then building new packages would be trouble,
so I wouldn't recommend trying to add in the old libraries.

> a version of pkgsrc (2016Q4) and ran a cvs update then went to
> building the ones I want.  Keep running into build problems.
> Sometimes after a day or two things get updated in pkgsrc so I do an
> update and I get a little further, but it’s been a slow process.

You definitely need a consistent pkgsrc tree.  Choices today are
pkgsrc-2016Q4 and HEAD> Today I would recommend HEAD as we are in freeze
and pretty stable, so you are essentially getting a 2017Q1 preview.

> Tried doing a “cvs update -A” as I understand this should get things
> building off the very latest pkgsrc (is that HEAD, current, stable or
> something else — not sure and haven’t found anything that tells me).

It is head or current, which are two words for the same thing.  stable
is a word humans use to refer to the most recent pkgsrc-YYYYQN branch.

> Yup, the 2016Q4 Tag disappeared in the CVS directories, so I know I’m
> on a different path now, but I’m not sure that works any better for
> me.  I’m still getting build errors in some of the packages I build,
> and like on the 2016Q4 path, updates sometimes get me a little
> further.  I’d post the errors I’m seeing but I’m not sure if I’m on
> the right pkgsrc path so I’m not sure if my errors are real and/or
> important to the pkgsrc efforts.

You definitely need to have a consistent build.  So you can either set
up to build from no packages, either by deleting all and rebuilding, or
doing a bulk build, or you can use something like pkg_rolling-replace to
update things in topological order.

> On top of this, things change if I install the very latest version of
> NetBSD -current and start the pkgsrc build efforts from the beginning.
> Probably due to even more updates in versions of libraries?

Yes, but library version numbers are not that frequent.  You can do
"pkg_admin set rebuild=YES \*" to mark all for rebuild, and then pkg_rr
will do so.

> Anyway, given that I’m stuck running a version of NetBSD -current on
> this system (it’s amd64 if that matters), what is the recommended
> version of pkgsrc I should be trying to use and how do I make sure
> that’s the path I’m on?  Secondly, if I do that and run into package
> build errors should I post them and if so, to which list?

Yes, head ("cvs up -A") is what I would recommend today.  I would
recommend pkgsrc-2017Q1 next week when it exists.

By default you don't really need a mk.conf, so I would leave
/etc/mk.conf mostly empty except for what you really intend to change.

When you have build failures. posting to pkgsrc-users@ is likely most
appropriate.  If you think you know what's wrong and have a patch,
that's still fine. or tech-pkg@.  Basically, pkgsrc-users  to ask for
help, and tech-pkg to argue about which is the right fix :-)

I see bulk builds on current with clang and on 7 with gcc, so with
current and gcc, I would expect that the vast majority of packages build
ok.

I would also recommend that instead of doing make clean everywhere, you
just "cd /usr/pkgsrc; rm -rf */*/work", or remove whereever your OBJDIRs
are.  It's faster and reliable.  It is good to make sure there are no
stale workdirs.