Re: Firefox vs GTK3

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 08:10:32PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but I guess folks here may have used
> firefox elsewhere ;-)
>
> Since the pkg switched the default gui toolkit from gtk2 to gtk3, some
> "system" dialogs are quite clumsy, appear gigantic on screen and are
> sometimes aligned strangely.
>
> My prime examle is the "save as..." dialog, if you haven't configured
> firefox to always save to the Download folder, it will use the gtk3 dialog
> to prompt for a directory and file name.
>
> This dialog is (IMHO) pretty ugly and weired to use, the gtk2 version only
> was weired ;-)
>
> Are there some tricks (like magic settings or whatever) to customize this
> dialog, e.g. make the default size smaller, use less space for the file name
> coloumn, make the columns sizable at runtime?
>
> It seems to behave even more strangely on sparc64, so there may be bugs
> lurking, but on x86 it does not look a lot better.
>
> Any pointers appreciated!
>
> Martin

Make a real basic theme accepting all the defaults, except for those
that are bumming out your box.

It is likely that a empty config accepts all default setting and only
adjusts when something it specified. This I know nothing about.

So you might have to find the default, edit it, then place it in your
home config or /etc/skel (for appliance towards newly created
accounts).

I 'think' themes are written in CSS. It shouldn't take too much poking
around to find what you are looking for. You could also download a theme
that looks more like you are aiming for. Then delete everything you
don't need providing a clean base. This in case the default isn't a
shared resource (built-in).

Or start fresh ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/chap-css-overview.html

Sorry I couldn't offer more.