Re: removing teTeX packages after 2016Q3

On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 11:52:14PM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > On Mon, Sep 19, 2016 at 04:38:52PM -0500, John D. Baker wrote:
 > > As such, I've viewed "print/teTeX" as an effective meta-package that
 > > continued to install a fairly complete (possibly overkill?) TeX system
 > > from mostly texlive components.
 > >
 > > Last I looked, I didn't see any equivalent meta-package for "texlive".
 > > Will there be one?  Otherwise, "texlive" seems to be completely "a la
 > > carte" and I haven't tried wading through it to figure out the pieces
 > > necessary for me.
 >
 > There are lots of texlive meta packages:
 >
 > [49]

That's way too many to be useful, especially since it's far from clear
what many of them are for. How about a "texlive" package (or just
"tex") that's the same as the current teTeX top-level package?

also, it would be helpful if someone could take an inventory of what's
still being installed from teTeX-bin and teTeX-texmf, if anything, and
ascertain what of it is definitely cruft and what of it needs to be
kept somewhere going forward.

The first step is to get rid of those; after that we can rename the
meta-package.

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost