Re: proposal: remove pkg_tarup from make replace

On Mon, 12 Sep 2016, Alistair Crooks wrote:
> 1. ensure pkg_tarup exists, by installing pkg_tarup in the same way that digest is a required package, or
> 2. display a message about installing pkg_tarup so people can do it for themselves

Well, I can see what you are saying, Alistair. I'd be in favor of #1, but
hey I'm just a user. I don't have to deal with the guts of pkgsrc most of
the time. You're obviously a smart guy with real reasons for going with
#2. I just saw what happens with the digest package and figured, "Why not
pkg_tarup, too?"

> So, sorry you think things suck, but I wouldn't do it any differently if
> I were to do it now.

Sorry for using that word. I don't mean to be insulting or crap on your
work. My only point is that, with a limited view of what's going on (and
thanks for your informative description) one is tempted to ask "if this is
supposed to make package installation||upgrades automatic, why do I have
to stop and fiddle with this manual package installation?"

I do understand the chicken & egg issues you describe and I'm sure you
made the best choice at the time.

Again, I'm sorry if what I wrote was insulting. I didn't mean it that way
and I'm sad if someone was discouraged by seeing that.

-Swift