Re: History behind pkgsrc 'biology' category

Swift Griggs <swiftgriggs%gmail.com@localhost> writes:

Your question is about pkgsrc, not NetBSD, so I have trimmed the lists.

> I am curious (only curious - this is not a complaint): Does anyone
> know why there ended up being a pretty well-fleshed-out 'biology'
> section in pkgsrc but there isn't "chemistry", "physics",
> "engineering" etc...
>
> Was there some prodigious pkgsrc maintainer/hacker who was a biologist
> or is it just that there happen to be more biology-related programs
> which justify the discrete category?

I am 98% sure it was just that someone was motivated to add lots of
computational biology programs.  Maybe Brook will speak up :-) There are
a lot of radio/RF programs in ham; same reason but more diffuse (more
people).  There is also cad and geography, for specific non-computer
topics, and parallel for a computer topic that seems to have a similar
raison d'etre.

This sort of thing can easily happen if there is someone on the computing staff
of a biology place who decides that pkgsrc is the best way to manage the
software that the science customers expect.  My understanding is that
some part of NASA uses pkgsrc for this reason (on GNU/Linux systems).

If  you wanted to go on a packaging rampage and add chemistry or physics
that's probably fine.  "engineering" seems too vague a category to be
useful, given what we have already, although we have math.