History behind pkgsrc 'biology' category

I am curious (only curious - this is not a complaint): Does anyone know why there ended up being a pretty well-fleshed-out 'biology' section in pkgsrc but there isn't "chemistry", "physics", "engineering" etc...

Was there some prodigious pkgsrc maintainer/hacker who was a biologist or is it just that there happen to be more biology-related programs which justify the discrete category?

Again, not complaining. I think it's quirky and cool. I'm just curious.

Thanks,
  Swift