Artificial intelligence, genetic algorithms, and neural nets

I've just finished a book on AI coding techniques. I've just been using gcc 4.8.4 and doing very basic examples and such. I'm an "okay" C-programmer, but I only get 4-6 hours a week to code. So, I'm not as good as most of you probably are.

Does anyone have any suggestions for libraries or fun AI toys I can use in pkgsrc or part of NetBSD ? I've only worked on very small AI solvers for simple problems so far; so, please keep that in mind.

My general interest is in machine learning, natural pattern and language recognition, and chatterboxes more specifically.

It just seems like all the cool stuff is being worked on by guys with Ph.Ds making big bucks with Apple, Amazon, or Google trying to figure out how to use AI to hawk consumer products or better track/stalk their users. It might be worth a yacht if I were a Ph.D, but it's very boring stuff otherwise.

Thanks,
  Swift