Re: pkgsrc-wip migration to git completed

On 23 October 2015 at 13:10, Leonardo Taccari <iamleot%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> Hello Ottavio!
>
> Ottavio Caruso writes:
>> I'm not fluent with git. Where's the actual tree?
>> [...]
> As pointed out by the wip main page:
>
>  git://wip.pkgsrc.org/pkgsrc-wip.git
>
> is the git repository.
>
>> As per previous thread (a couple of months ago), I suggest that:
>> "cd /usr/pkgsrc/"
>>
>> should be removed and replaced by:
>> "cd to where you installed pkgsrc".
> IMHO it's ok as is and it is also consistent with the first chapters of
> The pkgsrc guide. I think that changing it to just "pkgsrc/" (as done in
> the laters chapters of the guide) can be confusing for new-comers just
> interested to try and use pkgsrc-wip.

Yes, it is consistent with the pkgsrc guide. And it's consistently
confusing, for the reason I highlighted before.

A new users that seez the pkgsrc tree in /usr/pkgsrc and then sees a $
symbol is led to think that pkgsrc should be build as non-root. Which
might be well true (to a point), provided the tree is not under /usr.

--
Ottavio