Re: pkgsrc-wip migration to git completed

On 10/23/15 7:47 AM, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> On 23 October 2015 at 11:33, Thomas Klausner <wiz%netbsd.org@localhost> wrote:
>> The new repository is available at
>>
>>     https://wip.pkgsrc.org/cgi-bin/gitweb.cgi?p=pkgsrc-wip.git;a=summary
>
> I'm not fluent with git. Where's the actual tree?

Hello, Ottavio.

What do you mean?  Do you mean how do you view the source tree from that
URL?  Answer: follow the "tree" link at the top.  I don't think we need
documentation for that.

>> and usage instructions are at
>>
>>     http://pkgsrc.org/wip/
>
> As per previous thread (a couple of months ago), I suggest that:
> "cd /usr/pkgsrc/"
>
> should be removed and replaced by:
> "cd to where you installed pkgsrc".

I think joerg@ gave a good reason for that style in [1]:

  For documentation it is handy to have a "canonical" location, so that
  you can talk about /usr/pkgsrc/packages and not have to use the more
  verbose "packages subdirectory under your pkgsrc tree" etc.  That's
  about the only reason for why the documentation should talk about
  /usr/pkgsrc.

Also, right above those commands, it says, "Assuming you have a pkgsrc
checkout in /usr/pkgsrc, do the following."  I think that's reasonable.

Regards,

Lewis

[1] http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-pkg/2015/08/26/msg015481.html