Re: How can I have icons on a window manager?

		Hi Ottavio, pkgsrc-users@,

On 09/17/15 19:35, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
>>> Alternatively, how can I get icons to work on Fluxbox?
>>
>> You can try sysutils/deforaos-browser, where desktop(1) seems to do what
>> you have in mind:
>
> Thanks. But, before installing it, I need to know how placing icons on
> the desktop works. How do I practically create icons?

The default behavior of desktop(1) is to list the files found in the
desktop directory. This utility is XDG-compliant for the most part, but
there are still a few exceptions I have to iron out: the default folder
for the desktop is $HOME/.desktop at the moment.

Shortcuts in the .desktop format are currently not recognized as such in
this mode; shortcuts to programs can be created with symlinks though.
The same applies for non-executable files, they can be linked into this
directory and an icon for them will appear.

File associations are configured by means of a ini-style $HOME/.mime
configuration file:

=== BEGIN EXAMPLE ===
[application/pdf]
open=/usr/pkg/bin/evince

[image/*]
open=/usr/pkg/bin/view
edit=/usr/pkg/bin/gimp
=== END EXAMPLE ===

File associations can be configured via the preferences of browser(1) in
the same package. I have also started working towards making this more
XDG-compliant.

Icons are currently created as shaped X windows, with a Gtk+ image and a
label. They are automatically sorted and placed on the desktop,
beginning with the top left of the primary monitor by default, and then
aligned vertically and then horizontally. This behavior can be
configured with $HOME/.desktoprc, or via the GUI with "desktopctl -S"
(while desktop is running).

There is also a mode where desktop(1) displays every application
available on the desktop (homescreen mode, "desktopctl -h") or where
these applications are first grouped by category (category mode,
"desktopctl -c"). Additional icons can be created in this mode per user,
in $HOME/.local/share/applications (or whereever $XDG_DATA_HOME points
to). An example for a bookmark:

=== BEGIN EXAMPLE ===
[Desktop Entry]
Type=URL
Name=DeforaOS
URL=http://www.defora.org/
Icon=start-here
Comment=The DeforaOS Project
=== END EXAMPLE ===

A gathering of the manual pages for the whole environment can also be
found there:
http://www.defora.org/doc/manual/

I hope this clarifies a bit :)

HTH,