Re: How can I have icons on a window manager?

			Hi,

On 09/14/15 19:10, Ottavio Caruso wrote:
> I've been using Fluxbox as a window manager for a while, but I've not
> been very happy lately. I don't manage to make it work the way I used
> to when I was using Linux.
>
> Is there a [relatively] lightweight window manager that will let me
> create icons in a [relatively] easy way?
>
> Alternatively, how can I get icons to work on Fluxbox?

You can try sysutils/deforaos-browser, where desktop(1) seems to do what
you have in mind:

Usage: desktop [-H|-V][-a|-c|-f|-h|-n][-m monitor][-N][-w]
  -H    Place icons horizontally
  -V    Place icons vertically
  -a    Display the applications registered
  -c    Sort the applications registered by category
  -f    Display contents of the desktop folder (default)
  -h    Display the homescreen
  -m    Monitor where to display the desktop
  -n    Do not display icons on the desktop
  -N    Do not intercept mouse clicks on the desktop
  -w    Draw the desktop as a window

I haven't tested it with fluxbox in a very long time, let me know how it
works. Try with and without setting "-w" in particular. The behavior can
be partly changed at run-time with desktopctl(1):

Usage: desktopctl [-H|-L|-P|-R|-S|-T|-V|-a|-c|-f|-h|-n]
  -H    Place icons horizontally
  -L    Rotate screen to landscape mode
  -P    Rotate screen to portrait mode
  -R    Rotate screen
  -S    Display or change settings
  -T    Toggle screen rotation
  -V    Place icons vertically
  -a    Display the applications registered
  -c    Sort the applications registered by category
  -f    Display contents of the desktop folder
  -h    Display the homescreen
  -n    Do not display icons on the desktop

HTH,
--
khorben