How can I have icons on a window manager?

Hello,

I've been using Fluxbox as a window manager for a while, but I've not
been very happy lately. I don't manage to make it work the way I used
to when I was using Linux.

Is there a [relatively] lightweight window manager that will let me
create icons in a [relatively] easy way?

Alternatively, how can I get icons to work on Fluxbox?

I've tried x11/fbdesk, but the documentation is terse and I couldn't
get it to work.

I've also installed sysutils/pcmanfm, but all it does is crashing with
a core file.

Thank you.

--
Ottavio