Re: Prefixing PHP packages with ${PHP_PKG_PREFIX}

On Wed, Sep 02, 2015 at 11:15:48AM +0200, Thomas Klausner wrote:
 > > > This seems like a reasonable argument to me.  I didn't fully grasp that
 > > > our php versions are not like our python versions, and there can only be
 > > > one.  That makes me feel even more strongly that we shouldn't change the
 > > > default to 5.6 until we are pretty sure it won't cause much trouble.
 > >
 > > I disagree. If there is one conclusion to be drawn is that pretty much
 > > *all* things requiring PHP should be fully versioned.
 >
 > I agree with J?rg: Since we can't install the php versions in
 > parallel, we should have binary packages of all applications for all
 > php versions they support.

Yes, we should; I'm arguing that we should fix this by some method
other than tinkering with all the package names.

In the long run we really do want to have a scheme for having multiple
binary packages with the same name that are distinguished by options
or settings. This is too big a deal to roll out instantly, or even
soon, but I do think it's something we can and should plan towards.

In the meantime, nobody's answered my question about forcibly making
multiple php versions simultaneously installable. I suppose part of
the problem is that it's php and most people don't want to put any
effort in :-/

--
David A. Holland
dholland%netbsd.org@localhost