Re: Swtich default PHP to 5.6.

Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> writes:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2015 at 10:41:15AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
>> Is the issue only the 'php using packages without php-XY- prefix', or
>> are there some cases where one of those packages builds fine under 56,
>> but people need an optional module which is only available under 55?

It's of course not just builds, but runs, and that's non-obvious at times.

>> If the latter, is it unusual enough that we can expect users to manage
>> themselves.
>
> it's not only optional modules; it can also be "end user" softwares
> that work only with php55. From my experience, most softwares need
> some modification when switching to the next 5x php version.
> Also, a typical web server will have php code that is not in pkgsrc.

I don't follow this.   We're only talking about the default, but if the
default were changed to 5.6 there will be binary packages for 5.5 and
5.6 for both php itself and all versioned modules.  So the only thing
that would be awkward would be non-pkgsrc software that depends on
something in pkgsrc that isn't versioned.

>> If the former, which packages have an issue? I know I've been using
>> roundcube under 5.6 for probably a year.
>>
>> Is "all" that is needed for someone to go down the list of 'php using
>> packages without php-XY- prefix' and check if any do not support 56?

That would help.  Part of the reason to do this soon after a branch is
that there's time to fix all of them (marking PHP_VERSIONS_ACCEPTED),
rather than having a rush during the freeze when we should not be making
changes.  (We had problems with perl last quarter.)