Re: Installing and using pkgsrc with external compiler (in HPC environment) ... library path troubles.

* On 2014-08-05 at 08:42 BST, Thomas Orgis wrote:

> Am Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:33:57 +0100
> schrieb Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost>:
>
> > I'm not sure how common this is (it's not the case on SunOS), but if
> > it turns out that not adding rpaths is the default on most systems
> > then yes we should probably look at adding them in pkgsrc.
>
> I had a discussion here about this and one major argument against
> adding rpath to the GCC specs is that this breaks any attempt to use
> LD_RUN_PATH. This is stupid design --- rpath should work in addition to
> the environment variable, not replace it, but this is how it works.
> Some users (our users are also users of the compilers we install) may
> have heard of LD_RUN_PATH and would wonder what is wrong with our
> installation.

One alternative for you would have been to use the gcc48-libs package
and the USE_PKGSRC_GCC_RUNTIME infrastructure.  This uses an external
compiler but builds a copy of the runtime libraries for exclusive
pkgsrc use and handles all the rpaths etc.

Unfortunately gcc48-libs doesn't support that at the moment, and I'd
be wary of using the gcc47-libs infrastructure as, whilst it works for
this purpose (we rely on it a lot for SmartOS) I wouldn't trust GCC
compatibility across versions.

I think there was general consensus on restoring gcc48* packages to
their previous layout, if that happens then it'd be worth trying it.

Cheers,