Re: Installing and using pkgsrc with external compiler (in HPC environment) ... library path troubles.

Am Tue, 5 Aug 2014 08:33:57 +0100
schrieb Jonathan Perkin <jperkin%joyent.com@localhost>:

> I'm not sure how common this is (it's not the case on SunOS), but if
> it turns out that not adding rpaths is the default on most systems
> then yes we should probably look at adding them in pkgsrc.

I had a discussion here about this and one major argument against
adding rpath to the GCC specs is that this breaks any attempt to use
LD_RUN_PATH. This is stupid design --- rpath should work in addition to
the environment variable, not replace it, but this is how it works.
Some users (our users are also users of the compilers we install) may
have heard of LD_RUN_PATH and would wonder what is wrong with our
installation.

At least I'd assume a major part of separate GCC installs in the wild
not having built-in rpath, as this is what you get by default without
hacking the spec file.

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--