Re: Installing and using pkgsrc with external compiler (in HPC environment) ... library path troubles.

On 08/01/14 01:31, Thomas Orgis wrote:
Am Thu, 31 Jul 2014 19:35:33 -0500
schrieb Jason Bacon <jwbacon%tds.net@localhost>:

I have used it with external compilers on RHEL.  The only requirement is
that the same compiler is first in your PATH during bootstrap and
package building.

Sure? I fail to see a setting regarding runtime library paths in your
script (you explicitly avoid LD_LIBRARY_PATH at places). Does your
setup also work for Fortran and C++ programs that require the correct
runtime library from the external compiler (or are these external
compilers that hardcode the path themselves)?

I developed the script using external compilers. We were running RHEL 5.3 at the time, so we didn't really have a choice. The gcc 4.1 base was inadequate for HPC. We now run CentOS 6.5, and the base compiler in yum (gcc 4.4.7) is good enough for most purposes.

As for library path issues, those can and should be handled in the compiler build so end users of the compiler don't need to deal with it. If I recall, it should only require using the proper rpath flags while building gcc. And yes, we use packages requiring Fortran and C++ extensively.

Regards,

        JB

Note: I don't recommend using an external compiler on OS X at this time.

Oh, it won't happen that easily that I stumble over an OS X system at
our place;-)

Btw., the practice of simply symlinking the runtime libs into pkgsrc's
prefix works nicely, too. I do wonder if that can be considered an
elegant solution. Actually, an argument can be made to _copy_ them: A
tarball of the pkgsrc tree would be self-contained and work even if the
external compiler directory is removed ...

Alrighty then,

Thomas

--
  Jason W. Bacon