Re: WindowMaker crashing - debugging

Riccardo Mottola <riccardo.mottola%libero.it@localhost> writes:

>> So note the "you may have to fiddle".  Build the package, and read the
>> logs, and look at the various object files, and figure out where the
>> .stabs entries are not getting added or going astray.
>>
> sorry. The flags were not passed correctly. I added furthermore -O0.
>
> gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I..  -DLOCALEDIR=\"/usr/pkg/share/locale\"
> -DRESOURCE_PATH=\"/usr/pkg/share/GNUstep/Applications/WPrefs.app\"
> -DWMAKER_RESOURCE_PATH=\"/usr/pkg/share/WindowMaker\"  -I../wrlib
> -I../WINGs -I/include -I/include  -I/usr/X11R7/include
> -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R7/include
> -I/usr/X11R7/include/freetype2 -DNETBSD  -O2 -O0 -ggdb
> -I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R7/include
> -I/usr/X11R7/include/freetype2 -Wall -Wextra -Wno-sign-compare
> -Wno-unused-parameter -Wno-deprecated -Wno-deprecated-declarations -MT
> xmodifier.o -MD -MP -MF .deps/xmodifier.Tpo -c -o xmodifier.o
> xmodifier.c
>
> I see that in a compile-line, both options are passed. Apparently, gcc
> should use the last one.
>
> Now however, I can't reproduce the crash!

That's huge progress.

> It menas that the debug info and lower optimization level influce the
> crash. most probably a memory access, an overflow. This would confine
> the problem to windowmaker.

The debug info shouldn't change behvavior.  So I would recommend trying
again without -O0.  Optimization could be causing a bug in the code to
show up, or the compiler could be buggy.  If that crashes, then perhaps
you can figure out why in the debugger.  Or, you can try compiling half
the files with -O2 and half with -O0 to and search to figure out which
for file it matters.

You can also use clang:

  PKGSRC_COMPILER=      clang

after installing the package.