Re: How to remove pkgsrc orphan dependencies?

Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> writes:

> This scripts gives me 46 packages to remove instead of 103, as
> suggested by pkgin ar, so this is a bit of an improvement.

Well, I suspect after you remove the 46, you'll find that there are
packages newly not having depending packages.

So what are you trying to do?  If those 46 packages are not of interest,
remove them.  Then  repeat.   You should end up with automatic=YES on
those packages that are not intrinsically wanted, and no
automatic-notrequired.

> However I'll probably stick to the solution you proposed in an earlier thread:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/pkgsrc-users/2014/05/20/msg019708.html
>
> that is, creating a local summary file for pkgin.conf.

Ah yes, I think you do have to do that.  But it's easy.

> I guess I'll have to suspend and readdress this issue to when we have
> the new stable release.

Manually rerunning my script, doing "pkg_admin set automatic=YES", and
"xargs pkg_delete < PKG.automatic-notrequired" is pretty
straightforward.  I do it every quarter or so on most machines.