Re: pkgin hangs during download phase

Hi iMil,

On Tue 11 Oct 2011 at 17:19:51 +0200, iMil wrote:
> Were you using pkgin upgrade or pkgin full-upgrade ? A simple
> upgrade will only update non-autoremovable packages and needed
> dependencies. Meaning that if the version of sqlite3 you have
> installed satisfies firefox's package dependencies, sqlite3 will not
> be upgraded to its newest version.

I've just looked at the file databases/sqlite3/buildlink3.mk, which I
had updated to the latest pkgsrc branch, and it lists

BUILDLINK_ABI_DEPENDS.sqlite3+= sqlite3>=3.7.6.3nb1

which is exactly the version *before* the upgrade (since I still have
that version on my server, which I haven't upgraded yet). But in reality
firefox must have been built with sqlite3-3.7.7.1. Apparently firefox
checks its sqlite version - at least it gave me a pop-up saying it was
too old.

> If you want to upgrade everything (which i usually do ;), use pkgin
> full-upgrade (short command pkgin fug).

Ah, that's probably what I did wrong then. I just used "upgrade".

> Please keep me posted on how it is going !

I'll do that! In fact I'll try it as soon as I'm ready to upgrade the
server. pkgin is a whole lot faster than pkg_chk, which take ages to
decide what versions there are and what to upgrade. (I'll still have to
use it to build the packages with pkg_comp, but that is not
time-critical at all)

> Cheers,
-Olaf.
--
___ Olaf 'Rhialto' Seibert  -- There's no point being grown-up if you
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl    -- can't be childish sometimes. -The 4th Doctor