Re: firefox won't start, 2011Q2

"Jeremy C. Reed" <reed%reedmedia.net@localhost> suggested:

>> I'm still hoping someone out there knows why firefox would close as
>> soon as it starts, without opening any windows.

> I recall that happened to me on an recent upgrade. I think I moved my
> .mozilla directory to fix it, but now can't remember. I think you said
> you already tried that though.

Yes, I had, to no effect.

> You may want to make sure you don't have
> any plugins elsewhere that are being enabled

I don't recall installing anything outside my own account (therefore
in .mozilla), except for gnash, which I admit is buggy, but I had
deleted it along with everything else at this point.

> or environment variables in use.

Nothing firefox-specific in the environment; some X stuff, but X logs
show the connections being made.  There are a few "Netscape*" lines
in my X resources file.  I should probably remove those at some point
and replace them with "about:config" settings.

> I had tried 4.0 something. I removed that and went to (firefox36)
> 3.6.18.

That worked!!!  That is, the default firefox is now indeed "4",
and "pkg_add xulrunner-1.9.2.17; pkg_add firefox-3.6.17" resulted
in a working installation.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I should have noticed the major
version change; you've saved me a lot of forehead-banging.

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, as a private citizen:  anne%porcupine.montreal.qc.ca@localhost
Also reachable more officially at work:  anne%encs.concordia.ca@localhost