Re: KDE4 woes with recent current

On Wed Mar 23 2011 at 22:42:47 +0000, Julio Merino wrote:
> > I've seen this problem too for the last few days.  It's not
> > sluggishness: it's the complete inability for KDE to start whatsoever.
> >
> > I have the vague impression that this
> > http://mail-index.netbsd.org/tech-kern/2011/03/23/msg010153.html is
> > related.  I gotta try a patch, but that'll have to wait until later
> > today.
>
> That is actually related.  A preliminary fix that pooka@ send me fixed
> the issues for KDE.

You're welcome.

Then again, I'm not sure why it was my responsibility to debug the
problem.  At least thanks to the regular test runs (*) done by various
people I was in a better position than someone investigating "KDE fails"
perhaps months from now, since I knew exactly which commit caused the
problem.
(cf. http://www.gson.org/netbsd/bugs/build/commits-2011.03.html)

Still, this once again goes to show that any commits causing unexplained
test failures should be backed out.  The more claims there are about
the commit being correct and FUD about the tests being broken, the more
rapidly the backout should occur.  Sure, there are bugs in test cases
and components used by test cases just like in any other code.  However,
considering the I daresay quite impressive track record of our automated
testing efforts catching bugs as they happen, assuming the tests are
broken when some unexpected result pops up is just not very responsible.

*) http://releng.netbsd.org/test-results.html

--
älä karot toivorikkauttas, kyl rätei ja lumpui piisaa