Re: HEADS-UP: PostgreSQL update

On 20.12.2010, at 13:06, Adam wrote:

>>> I object this change. Bring it back, please.
>>
>> Ditto. As I said, I have not been using this, but now planned to. Especially
>> in the case of PostgreSQL, being able to keep two versions installed at the
>> same time is a very useful bonus (IMO).
>
> You can't install two versions of PostgreSQL, because they'll CONFLICT with
> each other. Therefore, PG_SUBPREFIX doesn't make much sense.

I thought I'd post my update on this thread. While the above is a
contradiction, because the purpose of PG_SUBPREFIX was to avoid the CONFLICT,
after playing with PG_SUBPREFIX for a few days (from before this update, and
because I didn't know of its existence), I realized that it was no good really.
Lots of fixing was needed to make postgresql(84|90)-(client|server) install
nicely together, and when I was there, I discovered that now every other
pgsql-depending package needed fixing, from buildlink3.mk to Makefiles and what
not. In other words, not there and not ready at all.

I still believe this would be a great option to have, but I'm not ready to run
through this world and make it work with everything. In other words, I don't
object the removal any more; it never worked properly.

-F