Re: Default Fortran compiler is g95 - Re: [HEADS-UP] Freeze in Preparation for pkgsrc-2010Q4 Branch

"Justin C. Sherrill" <justin%shiningsilence.com@localhost> writes:

> On Sun, December 26, 2010 10:23 am, Aleksej Saushev wrote:
>>   Hello!
>>
>> As I promised a while back, I've changed default Fortran compiler to be
>> g95.
>>
>> This shouldn't affect packages which properly set USE_LANGUAGES to
>> "fortran77"
>> when they mean that. I converted all packages in pkgsrc past summer,
>> yet beware of possible breakage in packages introduced after that,
>> they may assume Fortran being Fortran-77 even though I tried to correct it
>> when I noticed.
>>
>> g95 is known to be broken on DragonFly.
>
> I totally missed this before; going by the notes, it sounds like this
> won't break anything right now in pkgsrc for DragonFly, just in the future
> as packages are moved to use g95 instead of F77.  Do I have this right?

Right. There're no packages in pkgsrc at the moment that require post-F77
compiler.
Not by default, default settings are such that all packages use f2c for F77
and none requires post-F77 compiler.

This command explains it better:

find /usr/pkgsrc -mindepth 3 -maxdepth 3 -exec grep -H
"USE_LANGUAGES=.*fortran" {} + | grep -vF 77

and read on. There're several packages that do need post-F77 compiler,
but this is turned off by default at the moment.
You're only to meet problems if you're using untested non-default settings.

Packages _outside_ pkgsrc, e.g. in wip, _may_ be (and some _are_) affected.
The problem with wip is that there're some packages that do require more
modern Fortran compiler, that's why I didn't make changes there.
(I tested packages in pkgsrc when the main part of work was done.)

> A note to kernel%dragonflybsd.org@localhost, or
> users%dragonflybsd.org@localhost, may help to
> get a DragonFly-specific issue seen by DragonFly people.

pkgsrc-users is for everyone :)

--
HE CE3OH...