Re: wip/jdk16 status

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 12:34:07AM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:
> On 13 December 2010 21:13, Francois Tigeot <ftigeot%wolfpond.org@localhost>
> wrote:
> >
> > wip/jdk15 shares some files with wip/jdk16. One of these shared
> > files causes errors during installation of jdk15 on some platforms
> >
> > and this is due to a known bug in the jdk itself: the command
> > java -Xshare:dump is not supported on 64-bit JVMs.
>
> I think jdk16 has been idle long enough that its open season on fixes :)

Fair enough.

After learning a bit more about this feature, I'm thinking of removing
it entirely.

java -Xshare:dump only works with the "client" jvm.

It seems a "client" jvm is some form of optimization for low-performance
machines: it only exists for 32-bit systems, and is only enabled if
there's only one CPU and less than 2 GB of memory (or if one forces its
activation with the -client switch).

It would be useless on most machines people may want to run Java on...

Comments, anyone ?

--
Francois Tigeot