Getting started pkgsrc with Linux

I have some questions/concerns regarding pkgsrc with Linux.

One is patches to the source packages that might be included to make the
package build and run properly on NetBSD, and which might hurt things when
building and running on Linux.  FreeBSD ports collection does something like
that, patching to build and run on FreeBSD as opposed to Linux.

Another concern is that pkgsrc would not cover the whole system, in that it,
like the FreeBSD ports collection, would not include the base system.  But with
Linux, or at least some distributions, everything is part of a package,
including the vital things like util-linux-ng, coreutils, gcc and more.  So how
would pkgsrc under Linux build these vital parts?

I also notice from the documentation that pkgsrc on Linux and other non-NetBSD
platforms uses bmake instead of make.  But some packages require gmake as
opposed to make, as I found by browsing the Mozilla web site regarding
Seamonkey and Firefox.  I guess bmake would not work in this case?

I don't think I could well try this on my present computer but am planning to
buy a new computer, likely amd64, where I might want to try Linux with pkgsrc.

Tom