RE: tnftp build error on Solaris 10 with Sun Studio compiler

> I actually started with pkgsrc on Solaris by looking at this page. At
> first I thought I'd bootstrap lang/gcc44 to use instead of Sun Studio,
> but when trying to do so I ran into the exact same error that this
> thread is about, with tnftp.
> The reason I figured I'd use GCC is that you mention that in your page
> you consider this is a working setup, and that tnn@ mentioned someone
> had fixed/gotten gcc44 to run on Solaris. However, the error combined
> with the fact that tnn@ recommended I use Sun Studio for pkgsrc
> instead of GCC, made me ditch that idea at least temporarily.
>
> I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on using Sun Studio vs GCC,
> do you still prefer using GCC? Are the potential issues mentioned in
> the second point below still a problem? If such is the case, it's a
> bit confusing to know which compiler to use :)
> On one hand we have GCC which seems to be unstable on Solaris (you say
> "if/when lang/gcc44 works on Solaris"), and on the other hand Sun
> Studio which might not be able to digest certain packages.

I use GCCFSS - gcc front-end to handle the gcc-isms, Sun Studio back-end to
produce the fast, quality code.  The only problem I have with it, is that the
last version built for Sol9 (4.2.0?) has a bug that pops up occasionally, and
there's no intention to build a 4.2.1+ that has the fix.  Bummer.

Tim