Re: proposed reduction in graphviz dependencies

Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
[---]
I think that there are far too many options for this package -- I doubt
very much that the maintainer has tested all 512 combinations.

How far does that argument go? Have we tested all the features of the applications, on all different platforms we support?

If a package supports enabling/disabling features via configure-scripts, and these features cause more or less dependencies, then what I want is for pkgsrc to support these via the options framework.

In the same way package managers can't be expected to start the application, and test every possible function prior to committing the package, they can't be expected to test every possible build configuration. If the configure script supports it, it should be assumed to work. If not, it should be reported upstream.

...and I want to make it perfectly clear that I'm talking about users building packages themselves. (I think the binary distribution should essentially maximize functionality, but that's another discussion).

--
Kind regards,
Jan Danielsson