Re: gnome-applets PLIST trouble

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 14:32:26 -0500
Greg Troxel <gdt%ir.bbn.com@localhost> wrote:
> "D'Arcy J.M. Cain" <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost> writes:
> > This means two things;
> >
> > 1. You have PKG_DEVELOPER set to "YES" in mk.conf
> >
> > 2. The package's PLIST is incorrect.
>
> or
>
> (1 and) 3. The package depends on something which is not controlled by
> pkgsrc, so it comes out differently in different circumstances.

Yah, I guess what I really meant was "The files installed do not match
what PLIST lists should have been installed."

> I am 99% sure we are in case 3.

Me too now.  I just installed the package and there was no issue with
PLIST and installed files.  In fact a sample check shows files in your
list do exist on my system.

> > Having said that, I checked and there already is a PR:
> > http://www.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=40209
>
> I think what's going on is that some program gets run as part of
> configure, and it's a python thing, and as part of 'import foo' for some
> value of foo I can't remember it opens up an X11 connection if DISPLAY
> is set, and if that fails the load fails, instead of behaving the same
> way as if DISPLAY is not set.

Yes, I installed as root.  As root I have no DISPLAY variable set.

> So I think two fixes are needed:
>
>   make the python 'import foo' not try to use X

As a patch?  Do we know every package that has this issue?

>   make pkgsrc ensure that DISPLAY is unset when building packages unless
>   the package specifically asks for it to be set (for some that really
>   need this - seems broken)

Can we start with the simplest thing?  Unset DISPLAY universally and
see if anything breaks.  The bulk builds should tell us pretty
quickly.  I suspect that nothing will break because of this change.  If
it does we can look at a more complicated logic fix and new variable.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy%NetBSD.org@localhost>
http://www.NetBSD.org/